My name is Simon, I am of the clan McParker and I’m an experienced PHP WordPress developer. I am currently looking for more work to add to my Portfolio so if you have an idea for a project using WordPress then please feel free to get in touch !
You can also read my personal blog and leave a comment if you wish.
More About Me…
I grew up in Bournemouth Dorset and attended the local boys school in Winton, which was a technically focused school. On leaving I secured one of only four coveted apprenticeship places being offered by a local telecoms company called GPT. There I was fortunate to be sponsored through College and onto Bournemouth University, eventually gaining an HND in Computing.
GPT designed and built the first digital telephone exchanges and the related software for BT. I got to work in various different departments including a long stint in a software development team.
I’ve worked as a tape/ backup operator and help desk roles. Also I’ve done Unix systems admin. and technical support, mainly Sun Solaris. I moved to the then newly formed Siemens Business Services where I worked at their first ever UK out sourcing contract at the then BAE defence site in Christchurch.
I did a stint supporting and monitoring HP Unix production servers at Abbey Life Assurance in the heart of the Bournemouth financial world which had a great vibe.
In 1999 I finally landed my dream role with Sun Microsystem as a contract customer support engineer. Whilst at Sun I progressed to a permanent role in theMission Critical Support centre where I became a storage specialist.
I was at Sun for ten years, starting at their offices in Camberley before moving down the motorway to the prestigious newly built GMP campus, commissioned at the peak of the Dot com era !
I was working as part of a superb team of engineers, supporting global companies such as BT, Vodafone, Land Rover, 02, Deutsche Bank, Visa and London Underground. These companies all rely on Sun Systems and software and the related support contracts.
Other highlights include working in the out of hours team supporting the entire EMEA region, a building called Java House, installing my very own Sun Blade 2000 workstation (geek heaven!) and I even got to fly to Colorado USA for the Sun Technical Symposium !
Did I mention that at one stage Sun engineers were allowed to do pretty much any training course that Sun offered, we all had at least 20 training manuals!
Alas all good things come to an end and in truth back then really was a different ere. When Oracle ( which had survived the crash unsaved) snapped up Sun, things had literally hit rock bottom there. However, suffice it to say that upon leaving Sun I had the good fortune to be able to enjoy some time off.
I’ve since completed lengthy camping expeditions to the Lake District where I have now climbed every Wainwright. I’ve cycled probably every cycle path in the New Forest ( there is 100 miles of them!) I’ve done some cheeky wild camping there too, as well as plenty of walking.
I’ve kitted out my spare bedroom as an office and even treated my self to a digital piano which I’ve always wanted. I’ve been on the Governments work programme which I’ve blogged about. I’ve volunteered for the Salvation Army, helping out in the local charity shop (it’s true the volunteers do nick all the good stuff!).
I love taking random web sites apart, to see how they work. My favourite web sites are the BBC News followed by lynda.com, W3Schools and Ebay.
I’ve been keeping my eye on the jobs market and I’ve been to see quite a few local companies. I’ve kept a blog site showing what I’ve been up to, you are looking at it now.
I’ve worked with a local marketing company coding a custom WordPress theme for a private security firm based in London. I also worked on a six month project using a complex bespoke MVC system in PHP. I’ve also worked a contract role doing HTML coding for one of the large digital agencies in Bournemouth, which was great fun.
As you can see, I have now gained some commercial web development experience and I’m adding to my list of contacts all the time. I’m constantly amazed at how vibrant the digital industry is becoming around the South Coast, right on my doorstep no less.
I live in New Milton and value having access to the New Forest for walking and cycling. If it’s sunny then there is also the beach which one can cycle to. We have a great leisure centre, fibre broadband, a LIDL, a duck pond, a water meadow and a mysterious copse. Not bad for such a small town I think you’ll agree and a lot to be grateful for.
I hate gardening, DIY and housework but love reading, online courses, oh and TV !
Things I don’t know about…
I do not currently know about Microsoft stuff, hands up, it’s a liability I know. (.NET salaries are not to be sniffed at!)
I know how to build a PC and use Windows and Word, but I switched to Mac ten years ago.
- I use PHP not .NET
- Coda not Visual Studio, oh and
- Linux not Windows !
As you can see I’m a Unix man through and through 🙂 Just sayin’ cos some people assume you must be a Microsoft nerd to work in IT.
I am slightly bewildered by a thing called ITIL. Having worked in IT for 20 years, and never heard about it until I needed to get a job ! WTF ?
I know Photoshop but not Illustrator and definitely I’ve never touched Dreamweaver !
I know design theory but I’m a firmly entrenched tech.
I know WordPress development but find Drupal rather scary!
I am interested in working with new frameworks such as Symphony, Laravel, Angular etc but have not dedicated much time to look into these yet.
Thanks for your interest !
Finally, if you’ve read this far you might like to know what I’m currently reading. It’s the latest version of Modern Operating Systems which amazingly has changed little since I used it whilst doing my HND. It’s written by Andrew S Tanenbaum, who I consider to be the grand daddy of Linux.
Based in New Milton
Nestled between the Sea and the New Forest 🙂
- Considerations on leaving BT (7/22/2018)
- Glitch in The Matrix ? (8/17/2017)
- Triangular Brevity (5/7/2017)
- My rambling answer to DigitalSpy ! (4/23/2017)
- Virgin Media is in the room (2/9/2017)
- Free Cloud Photos (1/8/2017)
- My 2017 goals (12/23/2016)
- Fun Emoji Icons (12/1/2016)
- Hire ME! (11/23/2016)
- DIY MacBook Pro ‘Fusion Drive’ (10/19/2016)
- The Worst has Happened (10/6/2016)
- My Head hurts… (9/18/2016)
- The Science of Information. Also … (9/2/2016)
- Fixing UJM (7/25/2016)
- Annoyed with Adblock warnings ? (7/21/2016)
- the real debate for decent people ( 🙂 ) (6/28/2016)
- Investigating Design Skills (6/12/2016)
- Placing faith in IPTV (5/10/2016)
- What is Visual Composer ? (3/29/2016)
- Safe Walking in the New Forest (3/11/2016)
- on not leaving junk files in your theme directory (3/5/2016)
- Sometimes I wonder… (2/25/2016)
- Best Android Book ? (1/31/2016)
- What is ‘Conversational Web Design’ ? (10/18/2015)
- Dummies Books for Dummies (10/4/2015)
- Slow moving high, not too hot please ! (9/3/2015)
- Converting multiple wmv videos to audio in bash (8/8/2015)
- Pre-interview coding test (8/2/2015)
- Drupal v. WordPress. (8/1/2015)
- Web [Front|Back]-Endians (7/19/2015)
- A Whole Hill of (java) Beans (6/9/2015)
- What’s Simon reading ? I hear you ask (5/21/2015)
- Hmm 🙂 (5/6/2015)
- Git, time to get organised (5/1/2015)
- WordPress book #3 read 🙂 (4/17/2015)
- Time off , to the beach ! (4/11/2015)
- Web Developer Mindset (2/28/2015)
- Android vs. iOS (12/30/2014)
- PHP MVC, IOS Swift and Java for Android 🙂 (11/25/2014)
- Responsive Web Design (11/2/2014)
- Project Go Live (10/18/2014)
- Custom Post Types and Fields the easy way. (10/10/2014)
- This Week I have been mostly… (9/27/2014)
- Roll over PS ? (9/13/2014)
- Chance Photo (9/3/2014)
- Recognition over Recall (9/1/2014)
- Responsive Design (8/27/2014)
- TM, UX, OPA, RWD? (8/25/2014)
- Design is Communication (8/22/2014)
- Aesthetics ! (8/17/2014)
- TM: Time is Emotion (8/10/2014)
- Job searching resources (7/23/2014)
- The sensation of the mystical, K&R (7/14/2014)
- Photoshop Practice (6/27/2014)
- Two awesome Courses for two awesome apps (6/20/2014)
- Playing around with Bootstrap 3 and Emmet (6/10/2014)
- Logic Pro (5/27/2014)
- (Not) Man Flu (5/19/2014)
- Photo ! (5/13/2014)
- Android (4/27/2014)
- The journey Continues. (4/14/2014)
- Change is the norm, the skills curve (4/3/2014)
- Bootstrap to the rescue (3/29/2014)
- Facebook Userguide for beginners (3/27/2014)
- WordPress for Web Developers! (3/18/2014)
- I love Tuts ! (2/25/2014)
- Review of Photoshop, PHEW ! (2/19/2014)
- Useful button ! (2/17/2014)
- Comic Sans be gone (2/11/2014)
- My 1st 3D text (2/6/2014)
- I blog therefore I am (?) (2/1/2014)
- Fun with Photoshop ! (1/28/2014)
- Using OSX internet sharing and BTWiFI for Sky ‘On Demand’ (12/25/2013)
- Making OSX read a pdf Ebook to iTunes (12/24/2013)
- What’s Simon reading ? (12/20/2013)
- New Hosting Live ! (12/13/2013)
- Sharing via ViewRanger (12/12/2013)
- new web hosting for Christmas! (12/8/2013)
- New phone,I love Android! (12/7/2013)
- Please Nuke Lymington First (12/4/2013)
- Jquery UI course (11/24/2013)
- IE11 Intranet Mode (11/21/2013)
- Good Judgement comes from making lots and lots of mistakes (11/15/2013)
- Tuts Premium Course (11/8/2013)
- Learning more about WordPress (10/26/2013)
- Principles of Web Design, Sexy Web Design (10/20/2013)
- SA Work done and dusted (10/13/2013)
- Salvation Army work (10/7/2013)
- New job… Working for Charity ! (9/21/2013)
- I’m studying Redhat (RHEL/ Fedora/ Centos ) ! (8/26/2013)
- What a summer ! (8/16/2013)
- Presidential Twittering (7/4/2013)
- Digging into Photoshop Elements. (6/9/2013)
- I’ve been playing with JqueryUI (5/24/2013)
- Personal site ( looking ugly! ) (5/23/2013)
- ‘Painting the Servern Bridge’ (5/22/2013)
- check out my Coda 2 video (5/18/2013)
- CSSing (5/14/2013)
- Progress on hills database. (5/14/2013)
- latest version of hills database app online.. (5/10/2013)
- more coding practice today (5/8/2013)
- I’ve Ajax’ed the hills database.. (5/7/2013)
- Another update 🙂 (5/5/2013)
- frustration.. (5/5/2013)
- Progress on Hills Database Web site. (5/4/2013)
- Running, Rowing, MX5’ing and Coding (5/3/2013)
- Practicing with PHP and MySQL (5/1/2013)
- Mountain DB online ( almost ) (4/30/2013)
- New Milton rec. to get major Revamp ! (4/28/2013)
- Blog Fixed ! (4/21/2013)
- Moths. iMovie. I am Coda 2 (4/19/2013)
- I’ve got my site online ! ( sort of ) (3/20/2013)
- iPad is the new portable Library ! (2/12/2013)
- The Six Human Needs. AR (1/19/2013)
- I never thought I would be interested in Time Management ! (12/20/2012)
- Getting SERIOUS ! (11/19/2012)
- Thoughts (10/3/2012)
- Life after TV (9/10/2012)
- I blame TV (6/29/2012)
- Finally time for an update (6/15/2012)
- Joomla! (5/5/2012)
- Rowing… lots of rowing ! (4/28/2012)
- Dictation on the new iPad is really cool (3/27/2012)
- Must have gadget obtained readily (3/23/2012)
- Web Developer jobs. (2/1/2012)
- Stuff (1/19/2012)
- Home office GO ! (12/30/2011)
- Java (12/17/2011)
- Learned Optimism (12/8/2011)
- Anchors, Subwoofers and marathon training (11/29/2011)
- Life Coaching, iMacs and autumn… and chips (11/16/2011)
- Photoshop fun (11/8/2011)
- Wonders of the Universe (11/7/2011)
- Time to learn TM (11/1/2011)
- A bad workman always blames his tools [tools tools] (10/30/2011)
- CS5.5 Slices (10/26/2011)
- W3Skools and stuff (10/25/2011)
- for(x=bigones=1,pork-=((reuse==”billy”)?1:2),y=novel$olution.lengthOf(); sanity===”norm”;k[reuse][pork+novelSolution[y–]]*=z) ; (10/21/2011)
- Forget switching energy suppliers, phone up BT ! (10/18/2011)
- Hello World 😉 (10/17/2011)